Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Playing House

Today I got off the bus and walked onto our circle and approached our house. I could see the back of the house from the end of the circle as we are on the corner. As I clomped along in winter boots, mitts, scarf and back pack I felt like I was far to young to be playing this game. I had this flash that very soon we would have to pack up our over night bags and go home to our respective parents and get back to school. That is my house. Not just the house that I live in. Not my parents house. A house that I am responsible for.
Surely I feel that the bills are mine. That I go to work six days a week to scrape together a pay check for the bills to keep the place going. Those things are not lost on me. But I am sure you have all had those moments. How did I get here? I love it here. But for that short 2 minute walk it felt a bit surreal.
But soon enough I walked through the gate, up the steps of the deck, and into the kitchen where I was greeted by a puppy so happy to see me that he is almost flipping over and a big kiss from my loving husband.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Stacey, I have had similar moments.

Anonymous said...

I hear you, friend! Except sometimes I'm slightly less positive... when I see the little fix-y things we have to do around our house (and there are TONS) I can't help but think, "Really? Are WE the grown-ups that have to take care of this?"