Last Christmas I worked on A Christmas Carol with Theatre Calgary. I really enjoyed myself.
This year, is different. It is the same script, set, costumes. Of 17 actors 14 are the same, of 7 children 2 are the same, the crew is the same. One would think the experience would be somewhat the same. However, three vital positions have changed. That would be the director - the director was the assistant director last year and was meant to present the same show. It is a remount after all (that is recurring theme of this nightmare). The other roles are the stage manager and apprentice stage manager (I am the only returning member of the stage management team). The apprentice is great, we are having a good time together. The Stage Manager is making everything difficult and making everyone angry.
The lines have been drawn, the proscenium arch seems to be the dividing line. Director and Stage Manger vs. Everyone else. We moved to into the theatre on Thursday and I have never had a worse experience than I have had over the past 7 twelve hour days. This show is even worse than a show I did in University where I cried everyday. So far I have only cried twice out loud (and more times that I can count in my head).
But... the original director has returned to help "clean" before we saw an audience yesterday. He took the reigns without hesitation and "fixed" everything back to the way it was last year. Two weeks of wasted rehearsal, 5 twelve hour tech days worth nothing and finally a show I can be proud to be involved it.

Christmas Present: Look Scrooge (he points to the stage management booth), she sits there passing judgement on all of us thinking she knows everything - but she doesn't seem to know what she is doing.
Scrooge: (scowling) At least we know she won't be working here again.
No comments:
Post a Comment