Monday, September 14, 2009

Broken Rules

In theatre we have a lovely little thing called 10 out of 12s. That means that you are in the theatre to tech 10 out of the 12 hours that you are called. At Theatre Calgary that usually means a noon start. So for stage management that means we come in at 11:00 to get set up. We start at 11 and go home around 12:30pm. So I am only supposed to work for 10 hours - but I work closer to 13. But that is okay, because I am allowed to work 13 hours without being compensated a span of day penalty.



Each show is allowed 4 of these "special" days. But I guess that means by the title 10 out of 12. On any given day that you have a performance before you official open you can have a rehearsal. That means that you have a Preview Performance in the evening (so a four hour show call) and a 5 hour rehearsal during the day. So including the hour prep before the rehearsal I am working 10 hours again. So why make the rule that you are only allowed 4 of these long days if that is not in fact the truth. On this show we only have 3 previews - which is not bad. Some shows preview for two weeks. That means we would have 16 days in a row (not counting our one day off on Monday) of 12 hour days.


On a higher note...we have opened. People seem to like it. This image is of the final scene, Jake with his Rain Making Machine. Doesn't it look heavy? I push it up hill 8 times a show.

No comments: