Sunday, May 27, 2007

I hate traffic in Calgary

Far to many people live in this city. Days like today I can't handle it. It is SUNDAY for pete sake. Get off the road and walk in the park!

Logan and I got in the car at 1:30 to do a little running around, pick up at dress at the seamstress, a picture from the framer, the library and drop Logan off at the cop shop. It took us an hour and a half. 90 minutes! That is stupid. There is too much traffic. And, like all cities, summer equals construction. So every block is down from four lanes to two or even one lane. Now I know most of you reading this are thinking "I hear you". Those in Regina. You have no idea. When two lanes of traffic is cut down to one - sure it ties things up. But when four lanes are traffic are diverted to one lane - that ties things up for 7-10 lights. Stupid. And to make matters worse we drove down a couple blocks of Macleod with one block having the two right lanes were blocked - the next block the two left lanes were blocked - and then down to one. AGH!

To top off the whole thing there is a festival going on right by us. On 4th street. So I am driving home with a little road rage and then get home to remember that we have Lindsay & Dan's car parked in our underground spot (while they are on their honeymoon) so I need to park above ground in visitor parking. Well, with a million people trying to attend this street festival a block and a half away from us - there is no parking. Our visitor lot is full. I take a couple of loops and still nothing. Now my blood is boiling. Then I see a family at their truck taking out a couple strollers. I drive up and unroll my window:
"Do you guys live here?"
silence
"Do you live at one of these three building?"
"No but this is visitor parking."
"Are you visiting someone in one of these three buildings?"
"No but this is visitor parking."
"This is parking for the people of these buildings, I live here and have no way to park at my home."
"Don't you have underground parking?"
"Yes, but this lot is also our lot."
"Would it make you happy if we moved our vehicle and had no were to park ourselves"
"Yes." (that is why, after all, that I pulled over and was bitchy to ruin you family outing)

Now, I have one hour to park at my own home. For I am sure that if there was ever a day for the meter maids to be out in full force watching our lot, I would hope that it would be today. For all of the other residence and their guests that are no doubt as frustrated as I am right now. Especially the two other vehicles that I saw making the loop that I was making.

1 comment:

MOM K. said...

Oh, Oh, sounds like somebody better move to a smaller city--maybe Regina!!!???