Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I guess that means we keep going

I almost quit my job yesterday. Sometimes I mean that sarcastically, or I exaggerate. But this time, I almost quit my job.

The first week sucked. We knew it was going to suck. That doesn't make it an better, but it is what it is. The day off I decided to clean the bathroom at the apartment I am staying at. It was gross. It was so gross that I had used hand soap and kleenex to clean a spot for me to put my towels on the vanity top. But after a week of that not being remedied by my "room mate", I decided take things into my own hands. At the end of cleaning crud that had been around for months I thew out the once yellow sponge.

The dirty bathroom incidents was only one great aspect of the day off. I got some groceries and returned home to eat some dinner. After eating, the "room mate" returned with a friend. The friend went out for a bit and the two of us enjoyed a movie together. The guest then returned to "crash". I went to bed, the "roommate" lowered his volume, but the "guest" was not.
When I woke up in the morning the "guest" was on the futon that took up the entire living room.

Spending one weekend with a person crashing on the couch underlined how bad the last week here is going to be. The place is double booked for another theatre tech to stay here starting Feb 1. So I started yesterday upset by my living arrangements. I got to work and the five hour rehearsal was ridiculous. I don't even want to go into how stupid everything was. But suddenly all of the things that had upset me in the past were all piled up together, and each individual problem was amplified. I try not to cry at work. I can't say that I am very successful, but I usually only do it in front of one specific person. I was backstage on the verge of crying for at least an hour when that person walked up to me to ask an innocent question. He saw the look on my face and his face changed. I declared that he can't talk to me nicely or touch me cause I would cry. Only business. At the break I quickly escaped to my office and cried. The stage manager came in a caught me. He reacted just like a guy does "What's wrong? Who did this to you? Can I go punch them?"

I may not have mentioned that the stage manager that I am working with is a seasoned professional. He is one of the best and I am glad to be working with him. He is having just a difficult a go of this as I am. He said that he was going to serious consider putting in his notice. He was going to sleep on it, but wanted to let me know.

I had to sleep on it as well. I came into work having decided:
1) If Rick stays, I stay.
2) If Rick quits;
a) I would quit but would need to be done by the end of the week. If I give two weeks then I am going home just when Logan is coming here and we would have to be two months apart. Which I don't want to do.
b) I would stay on the show and convince Rick to stay until the end of the Vancouver leg of our show. Once we get back in Calgary things should improve - in my opinion.

He came in today and had decided that we can' t let them win. So I guess that means that we are going to muscle through. Complete what we have started. Grin and bear it. And all the rest......

2 comments:

Mom G said...

My heart goes out to you ... take a lot of deep breaths and push through it ... try to think positively as hard as that might be!

lisa said...

OH Stace, this sucks. I'm sad that this has been an awful experience for you. Soon, Logan will be there and things will be better, I promise.