Monday, September 15, 2008

The one, the only

My parents drove into town on Thursday night with concert tickets. Tickets for 4 to Elton John. Mom, Stef, Auntie Shelley and I we to see the diva at the Saddledome on Friday.



It was great fun. I am pretty sure that Stef and I were bringing down the average age of the audience - if you don't count the front three rows of young gay men.

The show was great. There were a couple of song off the top that I didn't know. But the rest of the songs were loved classics, Rocketman, Tiny Dancer, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

It was just him at the grand piano, a keyboard players, drummer, percussion, bass and guitar players. The stage values were small (if you count at least 50 intelligent lights small), but it is Elton John. Somehow I expect more extravagance.

He wore a jacket with tails and blue embroidery on the arms that went onto a huge, abstract face of a woman with beautiful hair (which is what the rest design over the arms was). With that an electric blue dress shirt with matching cravat. When I searched Elton John I was hoping to find an image of him in the outfit he wore. This one is very close - if not the same. Including the blue tinted sunglasses.


I was able to find many images of him in similar but different coats and looks.There was no opening act, just two and a half hours of Elton singing. There was hardly any talking besides short introductions between a handful of songs.

When he left the stage before the first and only encore Stef and I expected a wardrobe change. He did not deliver. Oh well, the music was stupendous. (though I was not impressed with the sound mix - Elton was muffled and his voice was often competing with his piano playing). It was a great show - thanks for the ticket mom.

No comments: