Monday, September 15, 2008

Preserves

Previously I had mentioned my garden and my garden update. About a month ago already (my how time flies when you work at a crappy job) we returned from Regina to find that the heat had cooked our peas and that our carrots were ready for eating.

So we picked a couple carrots from each row which were different seeds, and all of the peas. I made a pea salad but the peas were woody and past their prime. I think that because the weather was so crappy for the first month they were in the ground it pushed back their prime time. But the carrots were delicious.


On the weekend of the 1st of September I spent the rainy Saturday in the kitchen making Strawberry-Rhubarb Jam. The strawberries were a purchase but the rhubarb I had harvested in June, chopped and froze.


On the Sunday, Stef and I made a dozen jars of pickles, a few more than a dozen jars of pickled carrots and two ziplock bags of fresh parsley (pulsed into usable pieces by the food processor) for the freezer. It turned the kitchen upside down, stopped being fun after awhile - but was successful.


One large jars of carrots didn't seal so the next day I had to re-process them. All of the cucumbers seemed to have worked. The jam has not set to the consistency I would like - but that is fixable. All in all - a good thing.

No comments: