Wednesday, February 17, 2010

An incredible night

I have pictures of my last days in Vancouver that I need to post.
I have updates now that I have been home for a week.

But I need to tell you about Monday night.

Tom Jackson invited us all to his house for a party.
We car pooled to his house outside of Calgary at 5. Nearly every person in the company came. We shared some appetizers and drinks.

For supper he served, with his wonderful wife, Montreal Smoked Meat Brisket. Delicious.
We had a wonderful meal.

Then the magic started. The instruments were pulled out and sound system hooked up. I knew that it was going to be a great "Jam Session" but I didn't really know what to expect. I thought a couple acoustic guitars and a piano. Wrong.

He had 3 microphones, a keyboard, electric guitar all ready to go. But it didn't end there. Many people brought out their own instruments. Chris, a great Calgary actor, brought a Mandolin, Cam, Frank Sinatra from previous shows, brought his banjo, and our band brought their instruments.

I can't even describe to you the feel of this room. Tom had a couple of friends over as well, three ladies that have a band and their piano player. They kicked the whole things off, and it rocked. But it got better. They start a song and the others sitting with their instruments just join in. Suddenly you have a full band supporting this song that came out of no where. And between every verse they would feature one player - "fiddle player take it". Adrian our band viola player would solo.

Curt and I (another Calgary actor I have worked with in Regina) just sat there with permanent grins on our faces. But we would really share a moment of disbelief when they would switch instruments. Cam sitting on Banjo stops playing when a new song starts and sees a Harmonica. So he picks it up and the song changes and grows. I think all of them switched instruments. And every time it would make me shake my head.

I was so lucky to have been there! There are moments that you know you will never forget. This was it.

John Mann sang three songs. A capella tune he wrote to a Robbie Burns poem. A cute song about how we were all safer when we could play with knives. And his last a funny "ballad" about his funeral.

Tom Jackson took the stage a couple times to sing and play the guitar. It was great. Especially when he pulls out that deep, deep voice he has. He would be singing away and then bust it out for a line and the whole room would go crazy.

Bill Henderson of Chillawack had out his electric guitar and rocked the room all night. He sang a few songs but mostly just went crazy on the guitar. It was incredible.

At any given moment there were not fewer than 8 musicians playing. One keyboard and 3 players, our rehearsal pianist, our show pianist and the pianist for the girls band. They would just tag the other out and take turns, sometimes each would play in the same song, or at the same time!

We heard many original songs people have written in their spare time (and again the others would pick it up and fill out the song). Many, many classic songs.

I didn't want the evening to end.

1 comment:

Mom G said...

Sounds like you had a good time!