Sunday, April 22, 2007

Ahh... Unemployment

I really like what I do. I have done theatre in one form or another since my first show in grade 1 What Do We Do About the Problem With The Deer. And now I have turned it into a career. However, there is a problem with this exciting career. Uncertainty. Theatre is contract work. And it has seasons that run like a school year. There is not a whole lot going on in the summer. I could look for summer work but it would be short month long contracts and the chances of having enough work to make it thru is pretty unrealistic.

Today is my last day of my Quest Contract. Tomorrow I am unemployed. I have been in contact with WestJet but they don't seem to be knocking my door down.

I have next week figured out. I was in Quest on Friday (fun day of returning rental equipment, rest of the set etc to storage and the dump - in the snow) and they are looking for some office help next week. I will be stuffing envelopes. I will take what I can get!

I am way more relaxed than I was last time at this year though. Last year I was searching for a great job. I didn't want to admit that I needed to get a job so if I had to tell someone it had better be good. This year, I really don't care. Logan and I were talking about it today, perhaps I am more certain about my career and thus know that this summer job means nothing. I have been offered two shows from Theatre Calgary Christmas Carol and Enchanted April . I was also offered a Quest Theatre tour, either Flop or the Cantos Tour . And had to turn down Alberta Theatre Projects rehearsal ASM for PlayRites Festival. So I feel very happy with how things are going for my career. I feel that I can take whatever job is available and the most convenient for me.

So tomorrow I finish up all my paperwork for Quest (I took today off instead tomorrows scheduled day off). Hopefully will have time to paper the community and then spend the rest of the week in the Quest office. My fingers are crossed for an easy transition (not like the month and a half wait for a job that I had last year.)

No comments: