Friday, January 18, 2008

Ah the boredom

Sometimes I have a very exciting job. I work in show business, and they do say there is no business like it. And they are right. The ups and downs are like no other. When people ask what I do they often respond with "how exciting". Well today...is not.

Remember sitting in a class like social studies and the teacher would talk on and on about the same thing for a really long time. Well, the beginning of the rehearsal process is a bit like that. We spent two days sitting at a table talking about the play. (The first I sat through with much enjoyment, the second day I spent most of my time doing other work elsewhere). Today is day 4. The actors in one scene (a 4 minute 46 second scene) are sitting on the set talking about everthing, their intentions, backgrounds, why they think the other person said that, and how it relates to the other scenes. It is a lot like class - excpet that you know there will never be a test and that the information in front of you is being spoken strickly for that person's benefit.

I have been excused from the hall by the stage manager to type out a piece of paperwork that is not pressing in the least. The note she passed to me was "you look bored. Wanna get out of here? I have busy work..."

I have been paged. Back to bordeom.

No comments: