Last night I took the first step in undoing years of brain washing. Nicole and I went to Phantom of the Opera. That is right, all Do It With Classers, I have now seen Lloyd Weber's work live and in person. And I have to say that it was good. I still hold to many of the principles we were taught. The music was extremely simple, the melodies were a repetitions of a couple of notes and he chose to replay all of the songs at least four or five times. (I understand one needs musical themes in a musical to identify people and events - but how many times can a person hear it without feeling like they could stand up and sing the score themselves.)
All in all though, it was a great spectacle. Even though I know that it was a scaled down version of the show. After years of theatre classes affectionately called "Story time with Uncle Bill", I have heard many stories of the inner working of that show - and was waiting for them. Some did not happen. But I enjoyed watching and allowing myself to be distracted by the technical aspects of this very tech heavy show, and know that I would not be missing any story line.
Thank you Nicole for asking me to go with you!
2 comments:
My favourite show ... I love the music! Glad to see that you have come over to the "dark" side (as the DIWC motto would have been).
I loved Phantom too -- there's just so much to watch. Of course, I wasn't brainwashed as long as you, and I actually saw the show BEFORE being told it was a crime to like ALW. Whatev, it's still theatre. :)
Post a Comment