Wednesday, January 17, 2007

I have house envy

It seems as though I have grown up. The other day I was thinking about how Logan has just started his career as a cop. And thinking about how people we grew up with are now Fire Fighters, Teachers and all sorts of grown up things. And that last summer we went to four weddings. Four couples joined their lives together, as we did; what a grown up thing to do. And even more so they are now buying houses and having babies. It is funny how time just slips away from you and now we are all grown up.

This got me to thinking about houses. I am fine with our little apartment on the hill. But many of our Regina (and other city) friends own homes. To make matters worse, two friends here in Calgary are looking. Their parents are looking for the ever popular investment in real estate. So these two are starting the hunt. I am jealous. I want to be looking for a house. But who can really afford that in this city. I went looking and found that in an article from December 5 "According to figures released by the Calgary Real Estate Board, a typical single-family residence sold for $394,712 last month...dropp[ing] below $400,000 for the first time since May...which marked a 36.4% hike over the same time last year." Holy Crap! You could buy a pretty spiffy house in Regina for $400,000. And they are saying that this is the price coming down.

Oh well, our time will come. I'm not really wanting a house right now, or rather, a mortgage payment right now. I'm just jealous.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A house will come eventually ... patience ... as you said - the cost is astronomical in Calgary ...