Thursday, September 13, 2007

Health Claims

In July you may remember me getting the Gardasil Vaccine. And if you will remember it was sparked because we received a newsletter from Blue Cross saying that it would now be covered. So when they gynecologist and my doctor suggested it I did it. I sent in my claim and have been waiting for a huge cheque in the mail. Instead I received a letter saying that it wasn't covered. I just got off the phone with Blue Cross looking for an explanation. You are not going to guess what the reason is. It was administered in a doctor's office. Yup. She snotty lady on the phone said the drug is covered but not if you get it done at the doctor.
"So I am supposed to give myself the shot?"
"Uh, no. You could go to a clinic"
"So I am supposed to go to a walk in clinic or family planning clinic but my own doctor can't do it."
"That is right."

That is possibly the dumbest thing I have ever heard - just behind "yeah, we are Best Buy but we don't accept the Best Buy Credit Card."

Without the snotty ladies help I have figured out a way around this. Purchase at Shoppers and then take it to the doctor. It costs way more at Shoppers but I can claim it. The shot is a series of three. So the one that is already done can be claimed under misc expenses and it will mostly be covered. The next will be covered under my drug plan if they don't know the doctor did it. And the last will be in the new year so I should be able to claim it again - or if not - thru the renewed misc expenses which renews in Jan.

Now the problem with my glasses:

On Monday I decided enough was enough, I was going to tell Lens Crafters whats what. I got these glasses in Sept of last year. I have always felt that I was not seeing as well as I should for a new prescription. I have gone back 3 times and each time they have said they are the right prescription we can adjust frame if you would like. The one time they adjusted it so high on my nose (so that my vision was clear) that I looked ridiculous that I had them adjust them back and left pissed off. This time I was gonna have none of that. I realized after wearing my contacts the other day that the glasses were way off. I can see better with contacts that are 2 prescriptions behind my glasses.


We marched into Lens Crafters and told the first lady. She seemed not to speak English so she got someone else. That lady took my glasses and had a pow wow with several other ladies in lab coats. I was expecting "I am sorry, you have had them for a year, clearly your eyes have changed and it is your fault, not ours." When she returned she didn't do that at all. "The focal point of your glasses is in the middle of the frame but your eyes are lower than that. If you give me an hour I can replace the lenses. The only thing is I don't have the Featherweights in so I will have to upgrade you to Index lens." (which by the way is the lens I had wanted/ requested in the first place because they are way thinner than the coke bottle look I get without).

They fixed them and they are good now. We think that they pulled up my profile and saw who took the order in the first place. She was training and I remember feeling like I knew more about glasses than she did. This is the only good thing I have to say about Lens Crafters. If you are in need of glasses *Don't go to Lens Crafters!*

No comments: