Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Not So Emergency Alarm

Today while working at my desk a 1st stage fire alarm rang. The Technical Director was in the office with me and we kept working while the alarm rang. The announcement told us to stay put while they investigate. One would think that the time we were given during stage one - we may have taken the time to prepare to evacuate. Not so.

The 2nd stage alarm started and the announcement said to evacuate. I decided that his would be a good time to go home for the day. I took the time to close my programs and shut down the computer, pack up my books and papers neatly and put them in my bag. After this time the Technical Director was still on the computer. We started making our way out, closing doors behind us, running into the couple of other workers still in the theatre.

As we moved into the lobby there were people everywhere. But they were not making their way to the exit. They were sitting having lunch, on the phone or just standing around. I headed toward the escalator and people were coming up. Alarms were sounding, lights flashing and a man announcing the evacuation of the building. As I walked out the door people were heading in off the street - I told them about the evacuation. One lady turned around and walked away, but the other two said "Oh well" and headed in.

Weird. I don't know what ended up happening cause I went home. But it was all very weird.

No comments: